Thursday, February 19, 2009

Winter Morning At The Beach

What does a girl do when she's stuffed herself to the gills with all the rich, luscious treats from her helluva hectic Valentine's Week? My instinct sheepishly asks "pass out on the couch and watch a Hugh Grant movie marathon?". *sigh* ... my instinct and I have to talk. The right answer, of course, is to give my poor digestive system a bit of a break, and feel refreshed and renewed by getting some fresh air.

The first part of the solution is pretty easy. It's so tempting to just skip breakfast and pretend that you're actually doing something good for your body, whereas the actual fact is that you're deluding yourself! DH is forever lecturing me to eat breakfast every single day. Apparently, if we don't eat breakfast, our body goes into "storage mode". It clings on to the fat, rather than using it up, and makes it even harder for us to lose the slightest inch of flab from around our problem areas. So if you want any exercise you're doing to actually make a difference, eat your brekkie! It's a bit of a pain some days, to be honest. You know those days, when you're bleary eyed and have a ton of chores to do, but you'd much rather be back in bed. My answer to that is either this Lip-Smackin' Breakfast Burrito, or if I'm feeling particularly health conscious, this - a ripe ruby-red grapefruit, cut in half, sprinkled with a tiny bit of sugar and freshly ground black pepper. That tart-sweetness wakes up all my senses!
Going outside in the winter months isn't easy around here, but we've been lucky enough to have a few amazing days, where the weather has been almost spring-like. When one such rare day rolled around recently, I knew exactly how I wanted to enjoy it. At the beach! I'm a Long Islander, after all. We always end up near the water. Spending a few hours at Long Beach was exactly what my body was looking for. Nothing like breathing in one lungful after another of a crisp, fresh sea-breeze. I'll let my photos do the talking.

The small marina nearby

No comments: