Thursday, May 6, 2010

Rhubarb Biscuit Cobbler

Spring hails the coming of rhubarb here in the US Northeast.

Had I even heard about rhubarb before coming to the US? Probably, in a book somewhere. But had I seen it or tasted it. Nope. It actually took me by surprise when I saw it, and it looked like red celery! I remember buying a whole bunch of it the first time, then sitting around scratching my head about what to do with it. Luckily, I had recently discovered the wonderful world of food blogs back then, so after much desperate Google-ing, I figured out how to take this rather odd, funky-smelling thing, and transform it into sweet, gooey desserts of all kinds.

Allow me to present to you one of my favorite ways to eat it ...

Rhubarb Biscuit Cobbler (adapted from Circle B Kitchen's recipe)
Serves 4-6

Click here for printable recipe

Ingredients:
4 stalks fresh rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1/2-1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
6 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 tbsp whole milk
1/2 tsp granulated sugar for sprinkling on top

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 425. Put your baking dish (preferably one with high sides) on a baking sheet.

2. Place the chopped rhubarb and strawberries in your baking dish. In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and water to create a simple syrup, and pour this over the fruit in the baking dish. Bake for 12 minutes.
Weird, giant, mutant strawberry. This is what you get when you don't buy organic, people.

3. In the meantime, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives, till you end up with some roughly pea-sized lumps. Pour in the milk and stir till dough just comes together.

4. Remove baking dish from oven, and drop the batter on top in lumps, breaking it with your fingers. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar, and pop it back in the oven for abut 20-25 mins, till the top is golden brown, and fruit is bubbling. Remove, let cool for 15 mins, then serve with cold whipped cream or ice-cream (if you know me, you know which option I go for every single time).

Verdict: Technically, rhubarb is a vegetable. You wouldn't know it though, when you eat it in this way. Pretty in pink, this one is. The baked fruit is sweet, tart and almost creamy. The biscuit dough is crunchy on top, and tender on the inside. Put 'em together and what have you got? Bippity-boppity-boo! Ooo, a Disney's Cinderella reference - fun! Ergh, no .. what am I saying?! ... my kid is barely 3 month old and I'm already watching cartoons! Okokok, I'm LYING, you got me, I watch cartoons anyway! *sigh*

... Basically, I'm trying to say that I like rhubarb. Especially like this. It's heartwarming and refreshing at the same time. Try it. And forget my cartoon confession.

12 comments:

Cool Lassi(e) said...

The cobbler looks scrumptious! When I went to the Supermarket looking for Rhubarbs, they told me they didn't have it yet which was really pathetic! I want to try this and Joanne's Rhubarb Topped cheesecake. Great post Muneeba.

Unknown said...

I think in terms of food, rhubarb is the new black. Everyone is doing rhubarb recipes. Its a very popular ingredient here in the UK, but when I lived in america, I never saw it. Now its all over the place.
Cobbler looks fab daaaaahling.
Enjoy your first Mother's day this weekend.
*kisses* HH

Ms. Meanie said...

Yum!! That looks like the perfect comfort dessert. I have never prepared rhubarb, but I need to get to it soon!

Anonymous said...

Yum, that rhubarb biscuit cobbler sure looks scrumptious! I love the first rhubarb photo!

Joanne said...

I'm pretty sure that pre-food blogging I had heard of rhubarb. I may have even eaten it. But I wouldn't have been able to point it out in a line-up. And I still can't see how something PINK can be a vegetable. But whatever. It tastes amazing.

This cobbler looks delicious! I am SO going to the farmer's market this weekend and picking up some rhubarb. To make this. obviously.

Malar Gandhi said...

Oh Muneeba, cobbler looks splendid...me too thought exactly the same' red celery,hehe. You have turned it totally delicious...am gonna grab my fork and knock your door.

And btw...you are my friend and welcome to my home, anytime...and I really mean it. I will be more than happy to fix your fav' meal.:)

Foodiewife said...

I used to make a pretty good strawberry-rhubarb pie. I haven't made it in at least 15 years. I should revisit that. The combo is a perfect match. Beautiful job, Muneeba.
PS: I just posted a PW recipe. I'm going to try and resurrect our "other" blog. xoxo

Sushma Mallya said...

Looks beautiful, and a very happy mothers day to you muneeba...

chow and chatter said...

wow this looks amazing what a cool recipe hope your had a wonderful Mothers Day Love Rebecca

tasteofbeirut said...

Muneeba

You make me want to taste rhubarb now~ your cobbler looks so great!

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

This looks so delicious! As soon as I can get my hands on some rhubarb, I'm going to make it. =)

Anonymous said...

Love this homely dessert. Gorgeous!