Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Bounty Of Mother Nature

Psssst. Mothers' Day is around the corner. I know I should be thinking about getting something for my mum. But I have to admit, this time around, I'm more excited for myself. After all, it's my first Mothers' Day being a mom; and not just Ozzy's mom this year! It's fantastic being part of this new social group - mothers get a sweet deal! First it was only my birthday and wedding anniversary, but now I get another holiday to squeeze a prezzie out of DH! And then, when B grows up, I'll guilt him into showering his mama with gifts! Oh happy day! Muahahahahahaaaaa *evil laugh*

Of course, my ideal Mothers' Day begins with me sleeping in, undisturbed, then slowly waking up, savoring a guilt-free morning (when I wasn't forgetting or getting late to do anything). Some type of delicious breakfast-in-bed would ensue, made by DH. Baby B would already have been magically fed, burped, and changed, then handed over to me in his best, most cheerful mood. Ozzy, my cat, would shower me with his feline affections. Oh, and the house would be clean - I'm a little OCD that way. This ideal Mothers' Day would also involve shopping, a massage that didn't end when a timer goes off, a leisurely hour of reading, some uninterrupted making out with DH, and finally a romantic dinner that baby B would hopefully sleep through.

Hmm. Funny how I envision my ideal birthday and anniversary to be exactly the same way!

Anyhow, even though I doubt any part of this daydream will actually come true, I can treat myself to a delicious Mothers' Day breakfast. And if my own mom was around, I'd bake these goodies for her too. Strawberries are perfect for breakfast, because now that they're coming back in season, their ripe fragrance perfumes the air and freshens you up first thing in the morning. It's a very feminine smell too, I think. So here's my Mothers' Day breakfast menu:
  • Cheesy scrambled eggs
  • Strawberry scones with good butter
  • Freshly squeezed orange juice
  • Hot coffee or tea, with lots of cream and sugar!

Accompanied by the love of my good man, and a big, toothless grin from my baby B!

Strawberry Scones (recipe from Confessions of a Tart - hers were way more beautiful than mine!)

Makes 6 large scones

Click here for printable recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup strawberries, chopped up

3 tbsp granulated sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

6 tbsp unsalted butter, in cubes, slightly softened

2/3 cup cream or cold buttermilk

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Sprinkle fruit with 1/2 tbsp sugar and set aside. Combine remaining sugar with flour, baking powder and salt. Add butter to the mixture and cut it in using a pastry cutter or two knives.

3. Stir in the fruit, then add the cream/buttermilk. Use rubber spatula to gently stir dough and bring it all together.

4. Turn it onto a floured surface and knead a few times to incorporate everything. Sprinkle more dough on if it gets sticky. Do NOT overwork it though!

5. Pat the dough into a circle that's 3/4 inch thick. Cut circle into 6-8 wedges, then transfer to cookie sheet. At this point, you can freeze the scones on the sheet, then store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Or bake them right away for about 15-20 mins, sprinkled with extra sugar on top, till golden. Eat warm, schmeared with honey or butter or both!

Verdict: Warm, soft, fruity and hearty. The butter just takes this over the top. Scones are funny little things, because it's almost impossible to mess them up if you get the ingredients in the right proportions. Either scones or biscuits are now my trusty go-to when it comes to making breakfast for a crowd. Not only is it impossible to resist a fresh scone straight from the oven, but the smell of them as they bake ... oh mommy! They also appeal to my practical side, because I can make them days in advance, freeze them, then bake them off in the morning that I need them - and look like an instant star!

17 comments:

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Well, The scones look splendid! Your hubby will probably surprise you with everything on your wishlist.
Hey,don't dream on about your son showering you with gifts.He will shower someone with gifts alright and that would be his girlfriend or wifey.

Unknown said...

Muneeba, I am going to say AMEN to all your wishes for Mother's day, hope you and all fellow mothers be treated that way on mother's day. :)

Beautiful looking bread !!!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Oooh-what a yummy mother's day menu!!!!
Must remember to drop some hints at home-love the scones :)

Joanne said...

The more gift-getting holidays the better! Plus I am absolutely positive you are an awesome mom. So you deserve these scones, a massage, a vacation, and then some. I might have to make these scones for myself...as a pre-emptive Mother's day gift. You know. As encouragement (Yes Joanne, you WILL be a mom someday!)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scones! Love the fresh strawberries in them.

Ann said...

Wow.. That looks so yumm, Love the last picture.. drooling!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of strawberry scones, yum!

Foodiewife said...

I made and blogged this very recipe a year ago. They are good! I almost forgot... this will be a very special Mother's Day for you, won't it? !

Unknown said...

May all your mother's day wishes come true daaaaaahling. You deserve it all.
*kisses* HH

Erica said...

Love strawberries!!! Those scones look delicious! I would love a couple with black coffee!

Future Grown-Up said...

This looks amazing. I couldn't remember why I felt I needed to pick up double devon creme and then I remembered when I reread your yummy recipe. Will definitely make this soon!

BTW, Hope your mothers day is a wonderful one!

Hari Chandana P said...

Lovely recipe..awesome job!!

Sushma Mallya said...

Very beautiful scones muneeba, lovely clicks..

Kerstin said...

Sounds like you're going to have an absolutely perfect first Mother's Day :) The scones look so fabulous!

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful - especially after you have sliced into one. My kids are very much in to scones at the moment so I think they'd appreciate these!

tasteofbeirut said...

wow these scones look so pretty and a bit tangy and fluffy! I wish I had some this AM with my coffee!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

Looks good. And so easy. Nice post. Will rey them this week. Looks to tempting to wait....